Saturday, August 4, 2007

Dr. Laura

I was given a book for my bridal shower called "The Proper Care & Feeding of Husbands" by Dr. Laura Schlessinger. I've never read anything of hers, but I have listened to her radio program from time to time, and have always found her to be.....for the lack of a better word, rude. But, from time to time, she does make a point that I can relate to. So, I began thumbing through.....and something caught my attention that I thought was 'blog worthy'.

In the begining of this book (which is all I've gotten to) it talks about how very simple it is to please a man(your husband in this books' case). It says that all men really need is encouragement and affection. How you can save your marriage, and or at least greatly improve your marriage, by simply giving your husband an encouraging word now and again, making sure he feels appriciated, and making sure he's happy with the amount of affection he's receiving. I'm not sure if I totally agree or disagree with this information at this point, but I do agree with some of the other points she makes. For instance. She tells one woman how important it is to let some things slide. Her words are "if it really isn't importand, let it pass becuase nobody likes to be jumped on all the time." This is probably the one line in this book written especially for me.

I do think I'll continue to read. But, what I wanted to share here was an interesting "blurb" she has in the book. It's a bit from a male caller to her show. Read on:

A husband is like a horse. At the end of the day he is usually rode hard and put away sweaty. Like in the movies, if his master drives and beats him, he'll go just so far before bucking and rebelling.
If you love him, if you coax him, he'll drive himself till his heart explodes beofre he will let down his master. He'll give himself to death for the one he loves.


I found this very interesting. I wonder how much truth it holds. I'm sure I, like many other women, could be more of a cheerleader, and less of a mother to my (future) husband. Hmmmmmmm.....I'll post more as I read on. This could be interesting.......

1 comment:

Kelly said...

I read this the week before our wedding...its awesome! Another one I can recommend (although I'm not quite finished myself) is "His Needs, Her Needs: How To Build An Affair Proof Marriage" I like this one even more and you're welcome to it when I'm done.